Joel Anderson, Stefan Fatsis, and Josh Levin focus on the Colorado soccer group’s season-opening win over TCU. Additionally they discuss how Maryland soccer coach Mike Locksley is coping with his son’s posthumous CTE prognosis. Lastly, ESPN’s Elizabeth Merrill joins to elucidate how the Nebraska ladies’s volleyball group drew 92,000 followers.
• Help Hold Up and Pay attention by subscribing to Slate Plus.
• Deion Sanders’ Colorado Buffaloes beat TCU 45-42 in each groups’ season opener.
• How Sanders remade the Colorado roster.
• The Athletic profiled the group’s two-way star Travis Hunter.
• Florida State beat down LSU; the Tigers’ coach Brian Kelly stated it was “a complete failure.”
• Learn New York Instances reporter John Department’s story, “After the Lack of a Son, a Soccer Coach Confronts a Horrible Fact,” concerning the discovery of continual traumatic encephalopathy within the mind of the late son of College of Maryland head coach Michael Locksley.
• Meiko Locksley was amongst 152 former younger athletes uncovered to repeated head impacts whose brains had been examined by researchers at Boston College. Greater than 40 p.c had been discovered to have CTE.
• In February, the BU Continual Traumatic Encephalopathy Heart reported discovering CTE within the brains of 345 of 376 former NFL gamers it had studied.
• Learn ESPN senior author Elizabeth Merrill’s story on how the College of Nebraska constructed a ladies’s volleyball powerhouse that drew 92,003 followers to a match final week.
• In her Energy Performs e-newsletter, Lindsay Gibbs famous that the Nebraska occasion wasn’t, as many reported, a world file: greater than 100,000 followers attended two ladies’s soccer video games in Mexico Metropolis in 1971.
• The late Grant Wahl on Barcelona ladies’s soccer group, which drew greater than 90,000 followers twice final 12 months.
Hold Up and Pay attention’s weekly Susanne Augustesen:
Josh’s Susanne Augustesen: Some behind-the-scenes tape from the One 12 months: 1955 episode on the Cannon Avenue All-Stars.
On this week’s bonus section, Josh, Stefan, and Joel focus on the thrilling younger People on the U.S. Open and the event’s oppressive warmth.
Podcast manufacturing and edit by Kevin Bendis.
You may electronic mail us at [email protected].